Monday, December 28, 2020

(My personal) objective as WHV holder in Australia

Actually you don't need to have any particular reason to come to Australia as WHV holder. Maybe the simplest reason for many of us is just to experience living abroad. Moreover, because of this experience is gonna be once in a lifetime experience, I think here were my goals:

1. Experiencing living abroad
As I mentioned before, this is one of the common reason we came to Australia with Work & Holiday Visa. I have never lived abroad before. So I wondered how it's gonna be look like. Getting out of everything that familiar in my home country, finding a job in new place, and working with people with different nationality. And here I am now, I think I enjoy my life here. :)

My first city in Australia

2. Improving my English
I can say that before I came to Australia, my English was just like that.. not so good, but not too bad. Still many improvement needed in all aspects: speaking, listening, reading, and writing. As time goes by, I feel that I am improving! So that's the reason I write my blog in English is to practice my writing skill. So sorry if I make a mistake, it's part of learning.

3. Making as much friends as I can and also making real connection.
If I never came to Australia, maybe I will never have friends from another country. I like to learn about another culture, habit from another country, etc. Regarding I am an introvert person, I fully understand that this thing is really challenging for me. Especially to start the initial conversation. But since I always traveling alone, sometimes the condition pushes me to adjust myself to get out a little bit from my comfort zone. It works quite well. So that, not only I have new friends, but also I can practice my speaking and listening skill too since we need to communicate in English. Beside that, I also got some Indonesian friends that maybe I'll never know them if our path didn't cross here.

Making a friend is easy, but making a real connection in a friendship is kinda different story (I think this one maybe is the very introvert thing, haha). Real connection doesn't apply to all of your friends, maybe just few of them. In backpacker's life, people literally come and go. You have a choice to keep in touch or not. This one is a little bit hard, but I am still trying to do it. Say hi, asked them how's their day/how's everything going, or simply sending a postcard are some ways that I try to keep in touch.

Hostelmate in Alice Springs

4. Exploring all states of Australia!
I like traveling so much! And with this kind of visa, I can go anywhere that I want. Seeing new places and enjoying nature always be perfect ideas. So I just don't want to miss the opportunity instead of stuck in one place.

As per today (28th Dec '20) - 3 states to go!

5. Saving money!
I allocate quite big composition of my salary as my savings. Yes, I need to save more for my next journey, investment, and also for my future plan. That's why I always try to make it balance between work and holiday.

I realize by listing my goals, it drives me to do something uncomfortable. Just like starting the initial conversation. Nowadays I am quite brave to face the uncertainty (correction: I still have a little bit worry on it for sure hahaha).. In example, I am okay to leave my job even though I enjoy working at that place.. just to go and explore new place.. with no job offering. Sometimes I think myself a bit insane, hahaha.. do I?

Along the journey, it's possible that another goal is coming up and added to the list. To end this post, I just want to say to everyone (and also to myself) that there is a quote says, "A goal without a plan is only a dream." So.. let's make it happen!

1 comment: